Friday, July 29, 2011

Those other days...

When we started the blog we had good intentions of posting once or twice a week.  Seems like we are insanely busy every day with stuff going on, but is it really all noteworthy?  Especially some of the routine and mundane.  Then there is the stuff that is just not so nice.  We wanted this to stay pretty upbeat and positive, but there are realities of raising any kind of animal that just aren't that way.  So this ended up to be one of those weeks.

After struggling and fighting to survive, we lost one of our June cria on Tuesday.  He made it to the 1 month mark, but he was never really out of the woods.  We did all the intervention we could do to keep his strength up and get some consistent weight gain building.  There were a couple bright and hopeful times we kept thinking we were almost there and then we would lose ground again.  Tuesday morning we found him very shakey as he was losing his fight to continue.

He always wanted to hang with the other cria~
He had some of the most amazing fleece we have seen on a newborn.
In the scheme of alpaca cria cuteness, he was off the charts!
It's always hard to lose any.  It is even sadder to see an alpaca mom display the distress for her lost cria.  Anyone raising alpacas that has been through this knows what I'm talking about, they are amazing animals and some of the best moms nature has created.  We will miss him too~



I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London

No comments:

Post a Comment